Saturday, May 18, 2013

No progress against delusional management

I wish I could say that I have been busily working on my novel works-in-progress as my excuse for not having written any posts over the last few weeks, but the reality is that all I have been doing is going to work, then coming home absolutely drained, having dinner, chilling out for a while then going to bed early only to have to get up and go to work again the next day.

Weekends, seem to take forever to arrive, and when they finally do arrive, in a blink of an eye they are over, and I face having yet another long week ahead of me.

Management called a meeting on Wednesday afternoon to tell us (once again) we are not good enough in our jobs, even though we are the best performing site of all the sites the company has, and that because of this 'abysmal performance' upper management is now going to start micro managing us.

Start?  Is it just me, because I have a good grasp on the English language because I am a writer, or does management not understand that they have been actively creating a demoralised workplace with their micro-management style so the word 'start' is a joke of pathetic delusional proportions?

A couple of months ago, our office endured hectic mornings where we saw clients back to back from 9 am to 12 pm, with little (if any) breathing space between appointments; but the upside was that when then had all afternoon to complete our administration required as a result of having seen so many clients in a non-pressurised way.  Now, management have decided they don't like that and have booked additional appointments for the afternoons, and given everyone additional tasks to complete in the afternoons as well, which results in staff members needing to have high concentration levels throughout the entire day (with NO recovery time) and no time to complete everything required of them. Not only are staff unable to complete their work, but you can actually see staff are wearing out physically because of the lack of relief from high-pressure. It doesn't help when we have full days without computers, which puts everyone even further behind, and impromptu staff meetings cutting into the precious little administration time now allotted. It is only a matter of time before the next resignation is submitted in anger - hopefully it won't be me (though if I find another job I'll be happy to be the next resignation!).

Just how does this micro-management and over-working of staff result in increased performance?  And how can a person effect change in this type of negative workplace, when management seem intent on maintaining the attitude 'if you don't like it, leave'?

I can honestly say I have never hated a company like I hate my current employer!  And I hate that there are hardly any jobs going at the moment for me to apply for to gain my escape.





No comments:

Post a Comment