Tuesday, April 09, 2013

My Writer's Toolbox Resources: 4 favourites

Oooh, so I arrived home from work this evening to find my Amazon order has arrived: Advanced Plotting by Chris Eboch. Can't wait until bedtime to settle back and crack open the thin spine!

It is always great to have resources to help you with your novel writing, and recently I have been having problems with plotting my novel, so I am hoping that this book, which came with good reviews, is what I need to help resolve some of the issues I was/am having.

I already own Stephen King's "On Writing" which is always highly recommended, and "Writing down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within" by Natalie Goldberg, as well as a few genre specific resources for writing Children's, Fantasy & Science Fiction, Horror, Memoir and Romance stories, including my favourite kindle book, A Writer's Guide to Harry Potter by S.P Sipal . 

But, one of the lesser known titles that I have gleaned a lot from too over the last year since it was released, is "Second Sight" by Cheryl Klein, continuity editor of the Harry Potter series.  If you get an opportunity to purchase this, then by all means buy it! Ms Klein has been guest speaker at many Writer Conferences and Second Sight is a collection of her popular talks.  Yes, you would benefit by attending the conferences she speaks at, especially when she goes deeper into a topic than what she has outlined to talk about, but as an Editor and booklover, Ms Klein provides some invaluable insights into the publishing and storytelling world, and my own writing has improved alot from her 'distant assistance'.


No comments:

Post a Comment